The Kings travelled to TK Shutter Reserve for Round 10 of the NPL SA to take on Metro Stars for the 2nd time in the week. After seeing off our “cup enemies” on ANZAC Day, the Kings were hoping for groundhog day!

Midfield maestro James Skeffington was brought back into the starting 11 as Alex Sunasky returned to the bench after missing the cup win with illness. Youngster Alhassan Toure was also given another start ahead of Nicolo Interieri. Coach Brazzale knew Metro would come out swinging, wanting to make amends for Wednesdays performance… but it was our Croydon boys who started the game in a positive, attacking way.

In the 21st min, Captain Lukasz Klimek was given plenty of room to shoot from just outside the Metro 18 yard box… BANG… a cracking right foot strike heading towards the top right corner. Unfortunately for the visitors, the Metro keeper produced a magnificent “Nick Munro-esque” save to deny the Kings an early lead. All 3 thirds of the Croydon outfit were working very well together- moving the ball well and closing down Metro attacks.

On the stroke of 33mins, the forever hard working Patty Caraccia once again bamboozled the Metro back 4 and was brought down in the box after some excellent footwork. Captain Klimek stepped up to take the spot kick and hammered a low shot towards the bottom left corner- only to be denied once again from the brilliance of Isaac Carmody. All the chances were going the Kings way and a goal was just around the corner.

Both sides went into the half time break with the scores locked at 0-0 and a very interesting 45mins ahead.

A tight start to the 2nd half with both teams settling back into the battle. In the 58th min, and against the run of play, Metro slipped a thru ball between the Kings defenders and a tidy finish by Esposito past the approaching Nick Munro. Once again this week, we were 1-0 with half hour to play. Unfortunately just 5mins later, Metro had doubled their lead as a scrappy goal was awarded after Munro was trying to swipe the ball off the line. A late flag from the linesman signalling the goal had the Kings fans seething- but the official was in a good position to make the call.

The Kings were working super hard from defence to attack to try salvage something from this game. A brilliant run from Skeffington on the left, matched with a pin point cross to Klimek in the middle, saw the Captain burry home from 8 yards out. 2-1 Metro with just 5mins to go. A hard working Croydon side tried without success to earn a draw- a draw that the game deserved at the least. We are now 3 wins, 7 losses… however- the work rate is there, the game plan is there, the quality is there and most importantly the belief is there. Not even half way thru the season and after a very tough month, the Kings have looked good with wins just around the corner.

Our U18′s lead 3-2 with 15mins to go but were overpowered and went down 5-3. Not what coach Vizzari wanted to see from the lads with just 15mins remaining. The reserves went down to an impressive Metro 5-2 and now have the “week off” with cup round this coming week.

The senior side will be back in FFA Cup action on SATURDAY 2:30pm kick off at MARDEN SPORT COMPLEX against State League 1 side Adelaide Blue Eagles. A huge game and a chance to make the final 4. Not only that, but we then have 3 HUGE games to follow… Sturt Lions, Para Hills and South Adelaide all loom as important games.

DO YOURSELF, AND THE CLUB A FAVOUR AND GET ALONG TO THESE BIG GAMES. We pride ourselves with great travelling fans- and the boys need you NOW!

U18′s: 5-3 loss
Reserves: 5-2 loss
Seniors: 2-1 loss


Leave a Reply