Another picture perfect day of football greeted 4 games this week. With the senior womens team kicking off as a curtain raiser to the senior mens, the day began early with the U18′s at 9am. A warm and sunny 32 degrees meant drinks breaks were a must!

After falling to Olympic the week before, Croydon were out to take 3 points from the highly rated Comets. 2 losses in a row meant this game was a big one for the home side.

Star midfielder James Skeffington returned to the bench from injury- the run and experience the Kings would call upon during the game, while defender Jarrod Brazzale returned to the starting 11.

A fast starting Comets came out of the blocks early and with just 11mins on the clock, a foul on Yared Abetew went unpaid in the 18 yard box and the Comets capitilised on the referees error. 1-0 Comets. Croydon found themselves chasing the game once more. Neither linesman or referee thought the clear and obvious push on Abetew was enough for a foul…

The entire Kings side was working hard to close the fast moving Comets but found ourselves turning the ball over in crucial sections of the park. Along with missing targets, it was looking all too comfortable for the Comets.

On the half hour mark, a lighting quick Comets midfield took on the home side and played a wonderful thru ball to ex-King Andreas Weins who hammered the ball between Nick Munro’s legs. A powerful shot which the Kings custodian wouldn’t be too happy letting thru. 2-0 Comets and the Croydon first half woes were continuing… 5 mins later, the fancy footwork of Paul Radice took a long range shot, only to be denied by the crossbar.

Both teams went into the rooms with the score at 2-0 Comets. Mark Brazzale was quick to send Skeffington out to warm up at half time with the change imminent. The Kings faithful were calling for a change of referee at half time as the horribly inconsistent official wasn’t making any friends at Polonia Reserve. The decision making and one sided calls were becoming too much for the home fans.

The second half began with the Skeffington change… and it brought instant success. Some brilliant ball movement between the sub Skeffington, Patty Caraccia and Captain Luke Klimek lead to a quality finish by Radice to get back to his goal scoring back on track, and more importantly, getting the Croydon boys back in the game! 2-1 Comets in the 47th min. A positive start to the 2nd half!

With the home side pushing for the equaliser, the Comets broke on a counter and on the stroke of 55mins, had their 2 goal advantage back. A shot hammering the crossbar rebounded fortunately to the waiting striker who made no mistake from close range. 3-1 Comets… 15 mins (and more poor referring decisions) later, superstar Rocky Visconte’s looping header beats the Comets keeper but is denied by the crossbar. With all the momentum, the Kings pushed again and drew an amazing save from the Comets #1.

5mins later, in the 85th min, the hard running Patrick Caraccia didn’t give up on a wayward ball and kept chasing… won the ball and took into the 18 yard box… his pace was too much for the defence and was taken out. Clear penalty and the only good decision the referee made all day. Nicolo Interieri stepped up and buried it past the diving Comets keeper, who went the right way! 3-2 Comets… game back on. A grandstand finish was ahead of us for the last 10mins.

Unfortunately the Croydon boys weren’t able to pinch the equaliser- even with all the momentum and effort put in. A gallant second half against 12 men (for the entire 90mins in fact). It seems as tho our first half performances are letting us down at the moment- something coaches Brazzale and Costanzo will no doubt be working on this week ahead of Saturdays cup clash against Para Hills Knights.

AV’s U18′s went down in the first game of the day in a 3-0 loss. The bad run continued with Mick Doyle Snr’s reserves side going down 3-1 at the earlier time of 11am. Following that, Simon Kasperski’s young Senior Womens side were outplayed by a stronger more experienced Comets side 12-1.

We want to see AS MANY KINGS FANS & PLAYERS out at the Paddocks THIS SATURDAY 2:30pm to help the boys find some form and a win against Para Hills in Round 1 of the FFA Cup! Its a chance for us to get back at Para for the league opening round defeat. 2:30pm kick off… make sure we make it feel like a home game with plenty of support for our boys!

U18′s: 3-0 loss
Reserves: 3-1 loss
Seniors: 3-2 loss
Womens: 12-1 loss


Leave a Reply