Round 5 - Metrostars Draw Continues Unbeaten Run

Another beautiful Saturday afternoon at Polonia Reserve welcomed players and fans of the Kings and the high flying Metro Stars (with their 8 supporters as usual!) We welcomed sponsor Brad from SEM group to toss the coin for the match- so thanks Brad and family for all your support!

Ange Costanzo brought striker Nathan Munro back into the starting 11, adding to the tall timber up front. Pat Caraccia was starting on the bench in a “super sub” role for later in the game.

Metro had the early chances. A shot just inside the 18 yard box struck the post but it looked to be covered by keeper John Hall. The Kings strikers werent to be outdone, and moments later Antoni Trimboli watched his quick turn and shot just go past the post. On the stroke of 33mins, a brilliant run and cross by Trimboli wasnt able to be turned in by Pete Mercurio. A tight start to the game!

Just before half time, the home side pused and almost had the break thru… twice. The first good save from Carmody from Metro was off another Trimboli effort. From that corner, Guy Miller’s brilliant header was again well saved. 5mins later, into stoppage time, Pete Mercurio let loose and almost replicated his brilliant round 1 goal… only to be saved again from the visiting keeper.

Both sides went into the break at 0-0. The Kings defense lead by skipper Lukasz Klimek and veteran Jarrod Brazzale were holding strong.

The 2nd half had Metro on the front foot. A 53rd min strike thundered into the woodwork and back out- much to the relief of the Kings faithful! Just 1min later, a poor clearing ball from Hall was intercepted by the Metro forward the shot on target had Hall scrambling back to clear off the line! Real heart in throat moment let me tell you! All the action was happening down the wrong end- and @ 58mins, a really soft free kick from referee Elder was given. Unfortunately the visitors scored from the rebound off that free kick- leaving the Kings fans in uproar.

Changes were forced and Costanzo made a double change. Miller and Martinello were sacrificed for the exciting Caraccia and Maio. Almost instant success for Ange after a brilliant, pin point corner from Skeffington found the returning Munro, who made the most of his opportunity. A great goal in front of the club room side. 1-1 and game was well and truly game on!

Croydon were definitely on top late in the 2nd half, creating the better chances. Again, Mercurio came closest with a bullet in the 81st min, only just going over the crossbar. The constant cries of “SHOOT” from the sidelines seemed to work! The hard running Trimboli was substituted for young Alex Demasi in the 82nd min. The game was on edge and more chances came for the home side- unfortunately, none of which hit the back of the net.

Referee Elder blew the whistle and we had our 3rd 1-1 draw in a row, Still undefeated but in need of a few more wins the Kings dropped to 5th on the ladder, just 2 points off top spot. Still, a great game of football and lots of positives!

Earlier in the day, Pepper’s under 18′s had an impressive 3-0 win, carrying on with good form. Vizzari’s reserves also clocked up another win, taking the 3 points 2-1. Great work lads, keep it going!!

Round 6 is back on the road for a spicy battle against Adelaide United Youth (2 weeks time). This Saturday the boys have the week off as the FFA preliminary rounds kick off and we have the bye.

Round 6 v Adelaide United Youth @ Valo Football Centre (The Parks) SATURDAY 6th APRIL
U18′s: 10:30am kick off
Reserves: 12:45pm kick off
Seniors: 3pm kick off