A large crowd gathered at Polonia Reserve on Saturday in what may be our last ever home at our beloved ground.

In what was a special moment for the Zajac family, 3rd generation Bentley walked out onto Polonia Reserve hand in hand with Captain Lukasz Klimek…. as well as Polonia legend Marian Kolecki and Fran Christison tossing the coin. A couple of fantastic memories made on the final day!

Onto the game… and a win or draw for the Kings would secure safety for the top flight in 2019. Vice captain Rocky Visconte started on the bench with a sore ankle, but Patty Caraccia returned from his 1 game suspension.

A fairly even first half had few chances for both sides, the best going the home teams way with a free kick to James Skeffington 20 yards out. A cracking strike that was very well saved by Metro’s keeper. The scores looked to be even at half time until a wasteful pass in the middle of the park by the Kings opened up to Metro’s midfield. A cheeky chip from 25 yards out had Munro leaping backwards, on for the ball to strike the post but then rebound off an incoming Metro striker who chested home on the line. Metro 1-0 up in the 44th min. A poor way to end a decent first half of football.

As the players went into the rooms at the break, Kings fans checked scores from the Sturt v Campbelltown game, as anything other than a win for the Lions would see them relegated and Croydon 1 place closer to survival (Birkalla played the following day).

Visconte replaced Costanzo at half time, hoping for experience to get us back into the game. Unfortunately for Croydon and their home fans, Metro doubled their lead just minute into the restart, directly after a chance for the home side went begging. A dejected Kings had to lift heads and get on with it. Again, unfortunately for the home side, another Metro attack lead to another goal. 3-0 in the 58th min… the white and red were now hoping for Sturt and Birks to lose.

A glimmer of hope in the 69th min with more never say die attitude from Patty Caraccia who chased a ball down that looked to be going out in the 18 yard box, causing the approaching keeper to bring him down. A clear penalty (yet another brought on by the young midfield star). Our resident penalty taker, defender Adam Martinello calmly slotted home to give the Kings fans something to cheer about. 3-1 Metro with 20+mins to go.

The home side kept pushing forward, looking for another goal to make for an interesting finish but some sloppy defending created another chance for the visitors, and they took it. 4-1 Metro and the game was done. As news of Sturt losing considerably to Campbelltown broke, some relief came to supporters. Sturt were gone- relegated. This game was done, a disappointing way to end the home season.

The players and fans were now waiting for the results of the Birkalla v Olympic game on Sunday… luckily for Croydon, Birkalla went down 3-0 and they too were gone. After a crazy up and down season, full of injuries and not the greatest form, we survived relegation with 1 game left. THANK GOD!!

Earlier in the day, Adam Vizzari’s under 18′s had a excellent 4-2 win but the ressies went down 1-0 with a last minute goal to Metro. Another mixed bag of results for the home sides- the story of our season!

Join us as we travel to Santos Stadium this Saturday at from 11am, 1pm and 3pm for the last games of the 2018 NPL season as we take on Adelaide Comets. From there, everyone is invited back to the club for a BBQ dinner ($10 per head- call Julie if you want in: 0412 301 484) and $5 drinks all night! With no stress or worrying, lets all sit down with the players and enjoy a few jars!

U18′s: 4-2 win
Reserves: 1-0 loss
Seniors: 4-1 loss

Photo credit: Joe Janko- you’re a legend!


Leave a Reply